Thursday, September 5, 2013

Daily Zen Quote - September 5, 2013


Rabbi Enoch, a disciple of Rabbi Bunam, longed to enter the house of his teacher and talk with him. For a whole year he tried to approach Rabbi Bunam's house, but each time he got close he lost his nerve. Finally it got so bad that he wound up in a field near the Rabbi's house, and walked through it, weeping, until he finally couldn't resist and knocked on the Rabbi's door.
"Why do you weep?" Rabbi Bunam asked him when he opened the door.
"Am I not a creature in the world, and am I not created with eyes and heart and all limbs, and I do not know for what purpose I was created, and what good I am in the world?"
"Little fool," the Rabbi answered, "I too go about the world so. Tonight you shall dine with me."

~Jewish Mondo

No comments:

Post a Comment